Quick Look at Basic Race Rules
- All dragon boats and equipment (including paddles) will be provided.
- Each paddler must wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket. One is provided. However, you may bring your own.
- Every paddler must sign a waiver.
- Each team will have a trained dragon boat steerer/coach.
- Minimum age for adult boat is 15.
- Your team will race with 20 paddlers and a drummer, but you may race with a minimum of 16 people.
- Must have 8 female paddlers (drummer does not count).
- The drummer must actively beat the drum during the race.
- If you have a race day protest, you should communicate it to the Chief Marshaler.
- The race heats will be a straight course of 250 meters, or 500 meters, depending on division. Three boats race at a time in lanes marked by racing buoys.
A complete rules and regulations file will be distributed to all team captains. For info about race day schedule and format, visit the race day schedule page.